Showing posts with label Smith(Dr Charles). Show all posts
Showing posts with label Smith(Dr Charles). Show all posts

Tuesday, 7 June 2011

FILICIDE: Ontario: No new trial for Tammy Marquardt

June 7 2011
The Crown has withdrawn a second-degree murder charge against a woman who was convicted of killing her toddler based in part on evidence from pathologist Charles Smith.
Earlier this year, the Court of Appeal for Ontario quashed Tammy Marquardt's second-degree murder conviction, calling her a victim of a miscarriage of justice and ordering a new trial.
But the Crown says today it will not proceed with another trial due to Mr. Smith's flawed evidence and because so much time has passed.
Ms. Marquardt spent 14 years behind bars after she was convicted in 1995 in the death of her son, two-year-old Kenneth Wynne.
Mr. Smith, who was recently stripped of his medical licence for professional misconduct and incompetence, testified persuasively that Kenneth was strangled or suffocated.
Other experts have since denounced Mr. Smith's findings, concluding Kenneth's cause of death could not be determined, though her lawyer says the boy was epileptic and could have died from a seizure.

Saturday, 12 February 2011

FILICIDE: Ontario: Tammy Marquardt's conviction quashed

Zoom in
Tammy Marquardt (seen with William Mullins-Johnson) leaves the court after her conviction was quashed Photo by: Kevin Misener/680News
2 of 2

Kevin Misener Feb 10, 2011
TORONTO, Ont. - The Ontario Court of Appeal threw out the conviction against Tammy Marquardt, Thursday.
The 38-year-old mother spent 13 years in prison for the death of her son based on the test of disgraced former pathologist, Charles Smith.
Smith had concluded Marquardt's son was smothered to death. Other experts have since come forward to say that the boy likely died after an epileptic seizure.
Defence lawyer James Lockyer says Smith dismissed the child's epilepsy as a possible cause.
"He kept seeing murder when it wasn't there." said Lockyer, "A child dies at 2-and-a-half years of age and he's epileptic and he's been suffering numerous seizures in the proceeding months, common sense says that's what he died of."
The court ruled, Thursday, Marquardt's conviction was a miscarriage of justice.
Marquardt has always insisted she did not kill her two-year-old son Kenneth and said she welcomes a new trial, if the Crown decides to pursue it.
"In my heart, I know the truth, and the truth will prevail," she said.
Marquardt said her life since 1995, when she was convicted, has been a nightmare, and that with this new ruling, she feels as though she is starting to wake up
http://www.680news.com/news/local/article/181695--ontario-s-top-court-quashes-mom-s-conviction-in-child-death

Monday, 31 January 2011

ONTARIO: New trial for Tammy Marquardt, imprisoned on baby boy’s death

Kirk Makin : Jan. 31, 2011

A Toronto woman who spent 14 years in prison for killing her baby boy will have her conviction quashed and get a new trial.
In a legal brief unsealed this morning by the Ontario Court of Appeal, the Crown conceded that problems with forensic evidence raise serious doubts about whether Tammy Marquardt was properly convicted.