Saturday 5 February 2011

FILICIDE: New York: Calotta Brett-Pierce: Conviction of mother of slain Marchella Pierce could hinge on young son's testimony

Thursday, February 3rd 2011, 4:00 AM
 
Carlotta Brett-Pierce is accused of beating and starving her 4-year-old daughter Marchella to death.
Marino for News
 
Carlotta Brett-Pierce is accused of beating and starving her 4-year-old daughter Marchella to death.
The words of a son could doom a Monster Mom accused of starving and beating his 4-year-old sister to death.
"Very devastating" testimony against Carlotta Brett-Pierce by her 5-year-old son led to the Brooklyn woman's grand jury indictment, a source said Wednesday.
Prosecutors also plan to show the trial jury "horrific" photos of little Marchella, who weighed only 18 pounds when her battered body was discovered in September.
During a court appearance, Brett-Pierce, 30, displayed no remorse for Marchella - just impatience.
"Can you please start a trial immediately," she said. "I'm tired of this. I know what I did and did not do ... did not hurt my baby. I did not kill my baby."
Marchella suffered repeated beatings, was deprived food and water and force-fed medications, the indictment charges.
Brett-Pierce, who also has a 1-year-old baby, turned on the waterworks when Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Patricia DiMango blasted her for writing letters to her surviving kids in violation of an order of protection.
"I said to them that I love them and I miss them," Brett-Pierce, her eyes welling up with tears. "I'm extremely close to my children."
Brett-Pierce is due back in court Feb. 22. She also tested positive for marijuana after she was arrested, assistant district attorney Jacqueline Kagan said.
The Pierce household was being monitored by the Administration of Children's Services when Marchella died. Now it's role in the child's death is under investigation.


 http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2011/02/03/2011-02-03_conviction_of_mother_of_slain_marchella_pierce_could_hinge_on_young_sons_testimo.html#ixzz1D6wVq0kW

No comments:

Post a Comment