Thursday, 21 April 2011

FILICIDE: Nicole Redhead, back history

Dakota Valkyrie
July 11th, 2009, 04:00 PM
City police have charged a 27-year-old woman with murder in the death of her 20-month-old daughter, the latest young child to die tragically after going through Manitoba's child-welfare system.
No one would say when toddler Jaylene Sanderson Redhead was reunited with her mother Nicole Redhead, who was arrested late Thursday and is charged with second-degree murder.
Jaylene Redhead was once in the care of a Child and Family Services agency but was returned to her mother, a source said yesterday.
Const. Jacqueline Chaput, a police spokeswoman, said the child suffered a form of physical abuse. The child was taken to a Winnipeg hospital and died late June 29.
Carolyn Loeppky, the assistant deputy minister for Child and Family Services, said the correct processes and procedures were followed in the child's case.
Loeppky said the agency, First Nations of Northern Manitoba Child and Family Services Authority, and Children's Advocate will do their own reviews.

A Winnipeg mother accused of killing her two-year-old daughter had just regained custody of the girl last winter on condition she be supervised by Child and Family Services and live at a local treatment facility, according to court orders obtained by the Free Press.
The 27-year-old woman has a long history with social services, including having two older children seized and made permanent CFS wards.
She was arrested Thursday and charged with second-degree murder following the June 29 death of her youngest child.
Sources say the little girl was injured while living at a treatment centre with her mother.
Women who have experienced domestic violence can live at the centre with their children.
Police said they began investigating after the two-year-old was rushed to hospital late one evening with critical injuries and did not survive.
They have not released a cause of death. A source said the little girl's injuries were not the result of a single incident.
"There was some physical abuse to the child throughout the child's life," said Const. Jacqueline Chaput, Winnipeg Police Service spokeswoman.

According to court orders, the Awasis CFS agency seized the girl from hospital immediately after she was born in October 2007.
They obtained a three-month temporary order of guardianship that was extended several times. CFS cited the need for ongoing protection as grounds for the seizure.
By December 2008, CFS was supporting the return of the child to the mother. A 12-month supervision order was granted that was set to expire in December 2009. It required the mother to live at the treatment centre and continue to be under CFS supervision.
According to documents, the mother's history with Awasis CFS began in September 2003 when her then two-year-old son was placed in care under a temporary guardianship order. Child custody court documents were later served on the mother, who was in jail on assault and breach charges.
CFS obtained a permanent order of guardianship in August 2004. The mother's sister was eventually granted custody of the boy in 2005, with the blessing of CFS.
The woman gave birth to her second child in July 2005. CFS immediately seized the boy under a temporary order of guardianship. For months, he didn't have a proper legal name in court documents and was simply referred to as "Baby Boy."
CFS agreed with the child being returned to the mother, but he was quickly taken back into care by November 2005 because of ongoing concerns about protection, according to court documents. A permanent order of guardianship was obtained in October 2006.
Sources say the accused has a tragic family history. Her mother stabbed her father to death during a so-called drinking party when she was just a child. The woman and her siblings subsequently spent several years in care and were exposed to frequent abuse and neglect.
The woman was convicted in 2007 of communicating for the purpose of prostitution.

No comments:

Post a Comment